ST. LOUIS—The old Globe Drug buildings in downtown St. Louis were just purchased, and the new owner has big plans for the space that includes a mix of retail and warehouse use.
U-Haul Corp. purchased the two buildings at 418 S. Tucker Blvd. for $3.1 million. The buildings were built by shoe manufacturer Endicott Johnson Co. in 1915 and 1923, and total 272,000-square-feet with one having five stories and the other three. The Globe Drug buildings were listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 2007. Globe Drug, an independent pharmacy and general store, was founded in 1939.
U-Haul plans to continue operations of the parking garage, which holds 100 cars, and transform the property into its 27th center in Missouri. It will use the five-story building as a storage facility, and the three-story section to house a retail showroom for selling boxes and packaging, as well as a vehicle rental service. The company plans to move in late April once it has finished making renovations.
Patrick McKay, Meade Summers and Frank Yocum from St. Louis-based Hilliker Corp. represented the seller, R & G Investment Co., the parent company of Globe. McKay represented the buyer, Amerco Real Estate Co., the parent company for U-Haul.