SAN DIEGO—From infography to robots, Megafincas Alicante’s Pepe Gutierrez gave IREM Fall Conference attendees a succinct rundown of must-have technologies that will rule the future for commercial real estate property managers. In his 18-minute iTalk session, “Essential Technologies in Property Management”—renamed by him from “New Technologies in Property Management”—Gutierrez listed the following as technologies to watch.
- Storytelling through infography—using graphics instead of all words to convey ideas conserves space on a page and is more informative.
- Using one technological device instead of several—the future of work around the world. Gutierrez says the device will control other equipment and allow TVs to convert to computers.
- Face-recognition technology—this could change security and key concerns property managers face.
- 3-D printers—Gutierrez says every property manager will have one of these in their office in the next five years. Having keys made externally will disappear; property managers will use 3D printing to print keys instead.
- Electric cars and driverless cars—more charging stations will be needed on site; Gutierrez says property managers are not ready for the logistics of self-driving cars.
- Digital keys—in the future, tenants will open their doors using their smartphones.
- The Internet of Things—with so many items going digital, the need to protect data will increase.
- Virtual reality/augmented reality and 360-degree cameras—these will change the marketing of properties
- Robots—Gutierrez says these are here now, not far into the future.