Realcomm Millennials panel The panel tackled the question of whether Millennials will be ready to take over when the Baby Boomers and Gen-Xers leave the workforce.

SAN DIEGO—Succession planning, intergenerational learning and understanding that workplace needs don’t vary among the generations are important concepts in developing young leaders, said speakers at Realcomm/IBCon’s conference CRE Tech 5.0 here this week. Speakers on the panel “Integrating Millennials in the Workplace—Technology, Work Style and Communications” discussed how Millennials are changing the look and functionality of the workplace and whether or not this cohort will be prepared to take the reins once the current leaders move out of the workforce, as they are beginning to do. Moderator Brad White of SES Consulting, a self-confessed Millennial, said, “The workplace is Millennial dominant—we need to figure out how to incorporate them.”

Esther Bonardi of Yardi said 48% of the workforce is Millennials, leaving the remaining 52% to be divided up among Baby Boomers and Gen-Xers. “Their communication styles and the use and desire for technology are where the differences lie. Boomers like the phone and short emails. Gen-Xers prefer long emails and long phone message, while Millennials want to text.”

Want to continue reading?
Become a Free ALM Digital Reader.

Once you are an ALM digital member, you’ll receive:

  • Unlimited access to GlobeSt and other free ALM publications
  • Access to 15 years of GlobeSt archives
  • Your choice of GlobeSt digital newsletters and over 70 others from popular sister publications
  • 1 free article* every 30 days across the ALM subscription network
  • Exclusive discounts on ALM events and publications

*May exclude premium content
Already have an account?

Carrie Rossenfeld

Carrie Rossenfeld is a reporter for the San Diego and Orange County markets on and a contributor to Real Estate Forum. She was a trade-magazine and newsletter editor in New York City before moving to Southern California to become a freelance writer and editor for magazines, books and websites. Rossenfeld has written extensively on topics including commercial real estate, running a medical practice, intellectual-property licensing and giftware. She has edited books about profiting from real estate and has ghostwritten a book about starting a home-based business.

More from this author



Join GlobeSt

Don't miss crucial news and insights you need to make informed commercial real estate decisions. Join now!

  • Free unlimited access to's trusted and independent team of experts who provide commercial real estate owners, investors, developers, brokers and finance professionals with comprehensive coverage, analysis and best practices necessary to innovate and build business.
  • Exclusive discounts on ALM and GlobeSt events.
  • Access to other award-winning ALM websites including and

Already have an account? Sign In Now
Join GlobeSt

Copyright © 2023 ALM Global, LLC. All Rights Reserved.