X

Thank you for sharing!

Your article was successfully shared with the contacts you provided.

BOSTON-After eight months on life support, a plan to convert the former Boston Police Headquarters into a luxury hotel has suffered cardiac arrest, with city officials finally pulling the plug on Landsmark Ltd.’s 63-unit proposal. Boston Department of Neighborhood Development spokesman Thomas Philbin says the agency became frustrated after owner Mustafa Tatlici failed to move the project along.

“He never showed us the ability to finance,” says Philbin. While the developer has a roster of international boutique hotels that initially offset fears that his $16 million bid was not financially prudent, DND ultimately tired of waiting for the deal to crystalize. The final straw came when Tatlici said he wanted his permits in place before pursuing the financing, says Philbin. “I think his money is all tied up in other hotel deals,” says Philbin, adding that Tatlici never mentioned the permitting until the 11th hour of negotiations. Rather than giving him more time, DND has decided to reopen the process to four other developers who initially submitted bids for the seven-story, 76-year-old building. Efforts to contact Tatlici through his attorney were unsuccessful.

Although DND official Charlotte Golar-Ritchie said earlier this year that Tatlici’s plan was “head-and-shoulders above the rest,” Philbin says the agency decided against reissuing another request for proposals. Not only are the other ideas viable concepts, he says, starting from scratch could create further delays in the process. “We want to see who can get started right away,” says Philbin, although the amount each developer is willing to pay will be another factor weighed in selecting a winner.

With proceeds from the sale targeted for badly needed affordable housing in the city, the DND is only giving the four remaining finalists until Tuesday to resubmit their proposals. The committee overseeing the sale will then meet on Wednesday, with a final decision anticipated within the next 30 days.

The four prospects will be allowed to alter their plans slightly, says Philbin. Among the developers who submitted bids previously were Saunders Hotels, the Raymond Property Group, Sage Hotels and Congress Group Ventures. Both hotel firms have proposed a hospitality use for the 73,000-sf structure, while Raymond proposed 62 luxury condominiums. Congress Group would like to build a $28-million office/retail development.

Want to continue reading?
Become a Free ALM Digital Reader.

Once you are an ALM digital member, you’ll receive:

  • Unlimited access to GlobeSt and other free ALM publications
  • Access to 15 years of GlobeSt archives
  • Your choice of GlobeSt digital newsletters and over 70 others from popular sister publications
  • 3 free articles* across the ALM subscription network every 30 days
  • Exclusive discounts on ALM events and publications

*May exclude premium content
Already have an account?

GlobeSt

Join GlobeSt

Don't miss crucial news and insights you need to make informed commercial real estate decisions. Join GlobeSt.com now!

  • Free unlimited access to GlobeSt.com's trusted and independent team of experts who provide commercial real estate owners, investors, developers, brokers and finance professionals with comprehensive coverage, analysis and best practices necessary to innovate and build business.
  • Exclusive discounts on ALM and GlobeSt events.
  • Access to other award-winning ALM websites including ThinkAdvisor.com and Law.com.

Already have an account? Sign In Now
Join GlobeSt

Copyright © 2020 ALM Media Properties, LLC. All Rights Reserved.