SPOKANE, WA-After a few years of cramped quarters and a “Countdown to Cataldo” campaign, construction has begun on the Inland Northwest Blood Center’s new $9 million headquarters.
The four-story, 57,000-sf facility will rise at 210 West Cataldo, which is at the corner of Cataldo and Normandie. It will replace the center’s current building at 507 South Washington. Ramey Construction is building the center, which has been designed by the Northwest Architectural Co.
Center officials bought the property in March for about $1 million. Financing was obtained with about $9 million in bonds through the Washington Health Care Facility Authority.
The INBC first opened its doors to donors on Oct. 1, 1945. Since then over one million donors have donated their blood for patient needs through the INBC.
The INBC collects approximately 30,000 units of whole blood annually to support the needs of 24 area hospitals stretching from the Idaho Panhandle to Grant County with a service population of 800,000 residents.