Breaking NewsGlobeSt.com will be offline for scheduled maintenance Saturday May 8 3 AM US EST to 12 PM EST. We apologize for the inconvenience.

 
X

Thank you for sharing!

Your article was successfully shared with the contacts you provided.

CAMBRIDGE, MA-Peptimmune, Inc. has signed a lease/sublease for 11,692 sf of laboratory space at University Park at M.I.T. on 64 Sidney St. Meredith & Grew, Inc.’s Joe Flaherty and Tucker Hansen brokered this three-party transaction consisting of a 7,357 sf direct lease with the property owner, Forest City Development and a 4,335 sf sublease with the sublessor, Alkermes, Inc.

The deal is good news for the Cambridge market where the once invulnerable biotech market is showing signs of softening. According to Meredith & Grew’s most recent market statistics, biotech vacancies have steadily increased over the past 12 months. As a result of space givebacks, the vacancy rate for existing biotech space increased from 3.7% at 2002′s year end to the current 8.4%. The overall biotech vacancy rate, which includes “biotech ready” shell space, is now 12.1%.

The most recent leases in Cambridge achieved rents in the $53 to $57 per sf range. However, the market report indicates that the higher vacancies, especially the sublease offerings as well as slow demand have led to a reduction in asking rents. Direct “biotech ready” shell space is now offered in the $42 to $55 per sf range, which includes a tenant improvement allowance from the landlord of $80 to $100 per square foot. Quoted rents on second-generation sublease offerings vary widely from $20 to $45 per sf.

Peptimmune, acquired by Genzyme Corporation in 1999 and later spun out in January 2002, has developed a technology that inhibits harmful immune responses while preserving normal autoimmune function. The company is also applying this approach to diseases that cause inflammation, like rheumatoid arthritis and multiple sclerosis. The company hopes to move its lead compound, a therapy for pemphigus vulgaris, an autoimmune disorder of the skin, into Phase I clinical trials later this year.

Want to continue reading?
Become a Free ALM Digital Reader.

Once you are an ALM digital member, you’ll receive:

  • Unlimited access to GlobeSt and other free ALM publications
  • Access to 15 years of GlobeSt archives
  • Your choice of GlobeSt digital newsletters and over 70 others from popular sister publications
  • 1 free article* every 30 days across the ALM subscription network
  • Exclusive discounts on ALM events and publications

*May exclude premium content
Already have an account?

GlobeSt. NET LEASE Spring 2021Event

This conference brings together the industry's most influential & knowledgeable real estate executives from the net lease sector.

Get More Information
 

GlobeSt. NET LEASE Awards 2021Event

These awards honor the industry's most influential and knowledgeable real estate executives from the net lease sector.

Get More Information
 

GlobeSt

Join GlobeSt

Don't miss crucial news and insights you need to make informed commercial real estate decisions. Join GlobeSt.com now!

  • Free unlimited access to GlobeSt.com's trusted and independent team of experts who provide commercial real estate owners, investors, developers, brokers and finance professionals with comprehensive coverage, analysis and best practices necessary to innovate and build business.
  • Exclusive discounts on ALM and GlobeSt events.
  • Access to other award-winning ALM websites including ThinkAdvisor.com and Law.com.

Already have an account? Sign In Now
Join GlobeSt

Copyright © 2021 ALM Media Properties, LLC. All Rights Reserved.