NEWPORT BEACH, CA- Nationwide Health Properties Inc. has closed on $186 million in new investments thus far this year, including the REIT’s previously announced $120.8 million buyout of JER Partners’ joint venture interest in assisted living and Alzheimer facilities. The JER deal, which closed last week, was one of a number of new investments listed by the company that closed either in the first quarter or early in the second quarter.

The JER transaction was the largest of the investments reported by Nationwide, which acquired JER’s entire interest in the joint venture. Nationwide now owns all of the venture’s 46 assisted living and Alzheimer facilities, which are master leased to and operated by Alterra Healthcare Corp. Occupancy is 85% at the properties, which comprise 1,552 units in 12 states. Nationwide and JER acquired the facilities just before Alterra filed for bankruptcy, but Douglas M. Pasquale, NHP’s president and CEO, says the Alterra portfolio has shown steady improvement in operations ever since the current management team led Alterra out of bankruptcy in 2003.

As part of its acquisition of the JER interest, Nationwide assumed JER’s share of the secured debt the joint venture had in place of approximately $45 million. The two companies established the joint venture in 2001, with Nationwide holding a 25% equity interest and JER owning the remaining 75%. Nationwide, which invests in senior housing and long-term care facilities, has investments in 423 properties in 39 states.

Want to continue reading?
Become a Free ALM Digital Reader.

Once you are an ALM digital member, you’ll receive:

  • Unlimited access to GlobeSt and other free ALM publications
  • Access to 15 years of GlobeSt archives
  • Your choice of GlobeSt digital newsletters and over 70 others from popular sister publications
  • 1 free article* every 30 days across the ALM subscription network
  • Exclusive discounts on ALM events and publications

*May exclude premium content
Already have an account?


© 2023 ALM Global, LLC, All Rights Reserved. Request academic re-use from All other uses, submit a request to [email protected]. For more information visit Asset & Logo Licensing.



Join GlobeSt

Don't miss crucial news and insights you need to make informed commercial real estate decisions. Join now!

  • Free unlimited access to's trusted and independent team of experts who provide commercial real estate owners, investors, developers, brokers and finance professionals with comprehensive coverage, analysis and best practices necessary to innovate and build business.
  • Exclusive discounts on ALM and GlobeSt events.
  • Access to other award-winning ALM websites including and

Already have an account? Sign In Now
Join GlobeSt

Copyright © 2023 ALM Global, LLC. All Rights Reserved.