X

Thank you for sharing!

Your article was successfully shared with the contacts you provided.

Ian Ritter is national online editor of GlobeSt.RETAIL.

NEW YORK CITY-Year-over-year average asking retail rents in certain Lower Manhattan neighborhoods, as well as the 125th Street corridor, soared, according to the Real Estate Board of New York’s Spring Retail Report. Ground-floor rents on 125th Street jumped 54%, to $90 per sf; on Broadway Avenue between Battery Park and Chambers rose 45% to $126; and on Broadway between Houston and Broome in SoHo shot up 31%, to $212.

“Overall, it’s a continuing confidence in the economy and in the city,” Mike Slattery, REBNY’s senior VP, tells GlobeSt.com of the large upticks. “The demand for space is there.”

Retailers that might have stopped looking for space after the Sept. 11 terrorist attacks have resumed their searches, he adds. An increase in residential space has fueled some of the growth Downtown, while 125th Street’s popularity continues to grow. “For many years Upper Manhattan was not a destination,” Slattery says. “Its transformation has made this a favorable location.”

For all available space, Lower Manhattan saw the largest regional increase for all of its neighborhoods, up 14%, to $82 per sf. The West Side saw a 13% jump, boosting it to $127 per sf. Meanwhile, average rents grew in the East Side, by 4%, to $160, and in Midtown they inched up 2%, to $160. Overall, Manhattan was up 6%, to $103.

The corridor with the highest average asking rent is Fifth Avenue, between 49th and 59th streets, at $742, up from $717. That area replaced last spring’s leader, 57th Street between Fifth and Park avenues, which fell from $850 to $534.

Total square footage in the borough covered in REBNY’s report rose to 13.1 million sf, from 11.8 million sf the same period last year. During that time the number of stores jumped from 2,044 to 2,248.

Want to continue reading?
Become a Free ALM Digital Reader.

Once you are an ALM digital member, you’ll receive:

  • Unlimited access to GlobeSt and other free ALM publications
  • Access to 15 years of GlobeSt archives
  • Your choice of GlobeSt digital newsletters and over 70 others from popular sister publications
  • 3 free articles* across the ALM subscription network every 30 days
  • Exclusive discounts on ALM events and publications

*May exclude premium content
Already have an account?

Dig Deeper

GlobeSt. NET LEASE 2020Event

This conference brings together the industry's most influential & knowledgeable real estate executives from the net lease sector.

Get More Information
 

GlobeSt

Join GlobeSt

Don't miss crucial news and insights you need to make informed commercial real estate decisions. Join GlobeSt.com now!

  • Free unlimited access to GlobeSt.com's trusted and independent team of experts who provide commercial real estate owners, investors, developers, brokers and finance professionals with comprehensive coverage, analysis and best practices necessary to innovate and build business.
  • Exclusive discounts on ALM and GlobeSt events.
  • Access to other award-winning ALM websites including ThinkAdvisor.com and Law.com.

Already have an account? Sign In Now
Join GlobeSt

Copyright © 2020 ALM Media Properties, LLC. All Rights Reserved.