X

Thank you for sharing!

Your article was successfully shared with the contacts you provided.

SAN CLEMENTE, CA-Sunstone Hotel Investors Inc. has closed on its $419.5-million acquisition of a portfolio of six Renaissance Hotels totaling 3,326 rooms from Marriott. The acquisition was part of a larger deal in which Marriott International Inc. bought the Renaissance properties plus 26 other hotels from Hong Kong-based CTF Holdings Ltd. for nearly $1.5 billion and then sold the Renaissance properties to Sunstone.

Along with the closing of the deal, Sunstone closed on the previously announced financing of four separate fixed-rate loans totaling $250 million. One part of Sunstone’s Renaissance acquisition that has yet to close is its purchase of the remaining 75% of the 807-room Renaissance Washington in Washington, DC. In its initial deal with Marriott, Sunstone acquired a 25% interest in the DC hotel. Later, it acquired the remaining 75% interest. The company expects to close in July on its acquisition of that remaining 75% interest.

Robert A. Alter, CEO of Sunstone, called the closing of the Renaissance portfolio an important step in the company’s plan to concentrate its holdings in major, high barrier-to-entry markets, to diversify geographically and to focus on upscale properties. With the closing of the deals, Sunstone now has ownership interests in 60 hotels with an aggregate of 16,686 rooms, primarily in the upscale segments. Its properties are operated under franchises owned by national brands including Marriott, Hilton, InterContinental, Hyatt and Fairmont.

Want to continue reading?
Become a Free ALM Digital Reader.

Once you are an ALM digital member, you’ll receive:

  • Unlimited access to GlobeSt and other free ALM publications
  • Access to 15 years of GlobeSt archives
  • Your choice of GlobeSt digital newsletters and over 70 others from popular sister publications
  • 3 free articles* across the ALM subscription network every 30 days
  • Exclusive discounts on ALM events and publications

*May exclude premium content
Already have an account?

GlobeSt

Join GlobeSt

Don't miss crucial news and insights you need to make informed commercial real estate decisions. Join GlobeSt.com now!

  • Free unlimited access to GlobeSt.com's trusted and independent team of experts who provide commercial real estate owners, investors, developers, brokers and finance professionals with comprehensive coverage, analysis and best practices necessary to innovate and build business.
  • Exclusive discounts on ALM and GlobeSt events.
  • Access to other award-winning ALM websites including ThinkAdvisor.com and Law.com.

Already have an account? Sign In Now
Join GlobeSt

Copyright © 2020 ALM Media Properties, LLC. All Rights Reserved.