X

Thank you for sharing!

Your article was successfully shared with the contacts you provided.

(To read more on the debt and equity markets, click here.)

BROOMFIELD, CO-Level 3, a once-high-flying telecommunications company based in this city along the Northwest corridor between Denver and Boulder, recently received a $70-million loan for its class A office campus where it has its world headquarters. Level 3 received the loan from CBRE Melody and carries a 6.86% interest rates, according to documents filed with the SEC. It carries a term of five years with one year of interest only followed by a 30-year amortization. Financing for the property, located at 1025 Eldorado Blvd., was provided by CBRE Realty Finance Management.

“CBRE Melody was chosen to represent Level 3 as a result of our broad market reach and CBRE’s close relationship with Level 3 in providing their facility management services,” says Eric Tupler, senior director in Melody’s Denver office. The campus, built in 2000, is comprised of four, four-story office buildings with a total of more than 845,000 sf.

SEC documents obtained by GlobeSt.com show that on June 9, 2000, Level 3 entered into a $120-million floating-rate loan providing secured, non-recourse debt on its world quarters. Level 3 received $119 million of net proceeds after transaction costs. The lender as a reserve deposit was holding $13 million of the net proceeds, and $5 million is being separately held by the company as restricted cash, according to the SEC documents.

Tupler explains that Level 3 was looking to refinance its agreement with its original lender. When it could not reach an agreement, it used cash to pay off the balance of the loan, about $116 million. It then turned to CBRE Melody because Tupler had approached them before. “I call it a refinance because paying off their loans was such a recent phenomenon,” Tupler tells GlobeSt.com. “Technically, it probably is not a refinance because it is a new loan against their collateral.”

He estimates the real estate in today’s market is worth $95 million to $100 million, and the Northwest market is getting better every day, Tupler notes. Level 3 occupies about 80% of the space and uses the remaining 20% for special projects, he says.

Want to continue reading?
Become a Free ALM Digital Reader.

Once you are an ALM digital member, you’ll receive:

  • Unlimited access to GlobeSt and other free ALM publications
  • Access to 15 years of GlobeSt archives
  • Your choice of GlobeSt digital newsletters and over 70 others from popular sister publications
  • 3 free articles* across the ALM subscription network every 30 days
  • Exclusive discounts on ALM events and publications

*May exclude premium content
Already have an account?

GlobeSt

Join GlobeSt

Don't miss crucial news and insights you need to make informed commercial real estate decisions. Join GlobeSt.com now!

  • Free unlimited access to GlobeSt.com's trusted and independent team of experts who provide commercial real estate owners, investors, developers, brokers and finance professionals with comprehensive coverage, analysis and best practices necessary to innovate and build business.
  • Exclusive discounts on ALM and GlobeSt events.
  • Access to other award-winning ALM websites including ThinkAdvisor.com and Law.com.

Already have an account? Sign In Now
Join GlobeSt

Copyright © 2020 ALM Media Properties, LLC. All Rights Reserved.