X

Thank you for sharing!

Your article was successfully shared with the contacts you provided.

NEWARK, NJ-Heritage Management has closed on the sale of 570 Broad St., a 14-story, 200,000-sf office tower in this city’s downtown, GlobeSt.com has learned. The building has been sold to a joint venture of Ivy Equities of Montvale, NJ and Urdang, a Plymouth Meeting, PA-based investment management firm that was acquired by the Bank of New York earlier this year.

“This disposition follows the repositioning of the property and enables us to pursue other opportunities in Newark,” Steven Greenberg, a principal of the Ridgefield Park, NJ-based Heritage Management tells GlobeSt.com. “We look forward to the next chapter in our involvement in Newark. We believe in this city.”

The parties involved declined to release the sale price, but sources with knowledge of the transaction tell GlobeSt.com that the final figure is in the vicinity of $110 per sf, or about $22 million. Heritage’s involvement with 570 Broad began in 2003 when it bought the long-vacant property from Investment Properties Association, a partnership of Leona Helmsley, the estate of the late Harry Helmsley and other principals of Helmsley-Spear. First Fidelity Bank had at one time occupied the entire building, but vacated the premises in 1998 after its merger with First Union (now Wachovia). The sale price for the seven-years-vacant asset in 2003 was just $7.5 million, or less than $38 a foot.

As reported by GlobeSt.com, Heritage subsequently spent $5 million to renovate 570 Broad, a project that was completed in 2005. And in late 2005, also as reported by GlobeSt.com, Heritage secured $20.5 million to refinance the debt on the building, a three-year, adjustable-rate loan provided by GMAC Commercial Mortgage Corp.

Along the way, Heritage has been able to fill about one-third of the repositioned asset. Both Washington Mutual and Atlantic Federal Credit Union pre-leased space while the renovation was still under way. Since then, the now-former owner was able to bring Urbitran Corp., an architectural/engineering firm, PC Tech, a technology training firm, Lycatel Group, a European prepaid telecom firm, and Diversity Inc., a publishing firm, into the fold.

“We are proud of what we have accomplished here,” Frank James, Heritage’s director of property management, tells GlobeSt.com. “The property is an ideal first step into Newark for Ivy Equities and Urdang, and these institutional players are a great addition for Newark. It is gratifying to see new players like these coming into the city.”

The sale of 570 Broad is Heritage’s second deal with Ivy Equities: Two years ago, it bought 300 Harmon Meadow Blvd. from Ivy, an asset that remains in the firm’s portfolio. And while Heritage looks for other opportunities in Newark, it remains involved in the city via its stake in the adjacent 550 Broad St. Heritage bought the 291,000-sf asset five years ago for $23.5 million, sold an 80% share of it in 2005 to the Dr. Peters Group, a German investment group, but with its remaining 20% share remains as the asset’s executive operating partner and on-site manager.

Want to continue reading?
Become a Free ALM Digital Reader.

Once you are an ALM digital member, you’ll receive:

  • Unlimited access to GlobeSt and other free ALM publications
  • Access to 15 years of GlobeSt archives
  • Your choice of GlobeSt digital newsletters and over 70 others from popular sister publications
  • 1 free article* every 30 days across the ALM subscription network
  • Exclusive discounts on ALM events and publications

*May exclude premium content
Already have an account?

 

GlobeSt

Join GlobeSt

Don't miss crucial news and insights you need to make informed commercial real estate decisions. Join GlobeSt.com now!

  • Free unlimited access to GlobeSt.com's trusted and independent team of experts who provide commercial real estate owners, investors, developers, brokers and finance professionals with comprehensive coverage, analysis and best practices necessary to innovate and build business.
  • Exclusive discounts on ALM and GlobeSt events.
  • Access to other award-winning ALM websites including ThinkAdvisor.com and Law.com.

Already have an account? Sign In Now
Join GlobeSt
Live Chat

Copyright © 2021 ALM Media Properties, LLC. All Rights Reserved.