X

Thank you for sharing!

Your article was successfully shared with the contacts you provided.

(Read more on the multifamily market.)

MIAMI-Construction has started on Allapattah Village, a $60-million project that will include 200 units of affordable housing on top of a 27,000-sf YMCA. The two-phase project will be completed in summer 2009.

The project is being developed by YMCA of Greater Miami, Coconut Grove, FL-based Carlisle Development Group and locally based Biscayne Housing Group, whose principals are Michael Cox and Gonzalo DeRamon. The residential development will rise at the intersection of NW 17th Avenue and NW 23rd Street in the Allapattah neighborhood, which is in the northwest quadrant of the city. The Jackson Hospital and fruit packing and warehouse district are located close to the project. “This is an older, working class neighborhood that has seen little investment over the past few years,” Cox tells GlobeSt.com.

The first phase is a 12-story tower with 110 apartments in a mix of one-, two- and three-bedroom units that will be rented to families. The second phase is a nine-story tower with 90 one-bedroom units earmarked for seniors. The YMCA will contain 17,000 sf of recreational space and a 10,000-sf daycare. Locally based BJ&K is the general contractor on the project and Corwil Architects Inc., also from Miami, designed it.

Cox says 85% of the senior one-bedroom units will be rented for $666 and 15% will be rented for $366. In the family apartments, 85% of the units will cost $666 for a one-bedroom, one-bathroom unit; $801 for a two-bedroom, two-bathroom unit and $924 for a three-bedroom, two-bathroom unit. The remaining 15% of the units’ rents are $366 for a one-bedroom, one-bathroom unit; $440 for a two-bedroom, two-bathroom unit and $508 for a three-bedroom, two-bathroom unit. “All tenants will automatically become members of the YMCA,” Cox says.

The Allapattah YMCA was recently demolished to make room for the project. Funding for the YMCA portion was provided by Miami-Dade County’s general obligation bond. Funding for the residential phases was provided by Florida Housing Finance Corp. and Miami-Dade County.

Want to continue reading?
Become a Free ALM Digital Reader.

Once you are an ALM digital member, you’ll receive:

  • Unlimited access to GlobeSt and other free ALM publications
  • Access to 15 years of GlobeSt archives
  • Your choice of GlobeSt digital newsletters and over 70 others from popular sister publications
  • 3 free articles* across the ALM subscription network every 30 days
  • Exclusive discounts on ALM events and publications

*May exclude premium content
Already have an account?

GlobeSt. APARTMENTS SPRING 2021Event

Join 1000+ of the industry's top owners, investors, developers, brokers & financiers at THE MULTIFAMILY EVENT OF THE YEAR!

Get More Information
 

GlobeSt

Join GlobeSt

Don't miss crucial news and insights you need to make informed commercial real estate decisions. Join GlobeSt.com now!

  • Free unlimited access to GlobeSt.com's trusted and independent team of experts who provide commercial real estate owners, investors, developers, brokers and finance professionals with comprehensive coverage, analysis and best practices necessary to innovate and build business.
  • Exclusive discounts on ALM and GlobeSt events.
  • Access to other award-winning ALM websites including ThinkAdvisor.com and Law.com.

Already have an account? Sign In Now
Join GlobeSt

Copyright © 2020 ALM Media Properties, LLC. All Rights Reserved.