X

Thank you for sharing!

Your article was successfully shared with the contacts you provided.

(Carl Cronan is editor of Real Estate Florida.)

MIAMI-Bulk purchases in the local residential condominium market, where inventory is believed to have ballooned to 40,000 units, have been few and far between thus far in 2009. However, plenty of opportunities to buy blocks of units exist that many investors simply aren’t aware of yet.

More than 200 condo and townhome projects are in Miami-Dade County with availability of at least 20 units, according to Miami-based CondoReports.com. The report draws a distinction between units built through 2007, before the perceived condo market crash, and those closing over the past 15 months.

The exact number of units in each block is a moving target because projects built in 2008 and this year’s first quarter are still closing out existing sales contracts, says Adam Cappel, CondoReports president. It is safe to assume that nearly every building that began closing last year will have a meaningful block of inventory remaining, he says.

While Miami-Dade has garnered a huge amount of national media attention for its heavy inventory of unsold condos, vulture investors and real estate opportunity funds continue to be attracted to the market: “Institutional money considers the long-term fundamentals of Miami-Dade to be stronger” than other major metropolitan markets in Florida, Cappel tells GlobeSt.com.

So far, only bulk deals in high-profile projects have grabbed local headlines, he says. For example, the newly built MarinaBlue on Biscayne Boulevard in Downtown Miami, was where an investment group bought 60 units for $13 million in January. Some condos in the deal went for as little as $126 per square foot, though local observers speculate that prices might have since moved lower, particularly for converted apartments.

CondoReports states that within the 146 projects that began closing units in 2007 or earlier, bulk ownership exceeds 14,000 units with an average block size of 87 units. Those projects were almost evenly split, with newly built units accounting for 55% and conversions making up the other 45%.

Cappel points to figures from the Florida Association of Realtors showing just over 400 condo closings in Miami in February with an inventory of 21,848 units, indicating a supply of roughly four years. He says these numbers may understate availability because only a small portion of block units is listed as being on the market, adding that true inventory could be pushing 40,000 units.

Sales of Miami-Dade condo units could pick up whenever prices eventually stabilize, though Cappel says no one can say with any certainty when that will be. “We are going to need to see a large number of these units getting into the hands of end users or well-capitalized investors,” he says.

Want to continue reading?
Become a Free ALM Digital Reader.

Once you are an ALM digital member, you’ll receive:

  • Unlimited access to GlobeSt and other free ALM publications
  • Access to 15 years of GlobeSt archives
  • Your choice of GlobeSt digital newsletters and over 70 others from popular sister publications
  • 1 free article* every 30 days across the ALM subscription network
  • Exclusive discounts on ALM events and publications

*May exclude premium content
Already have an account?

GlobeSt. APARTMENTS SPRING 2021Event

Join 1000+ of the industry's top owners, investors, developers, brokers & financiers at THE MULTIFAMILY EVENT OF THE YEAR!

Get More Information
 

GlobeSt

Join GlobeSt

Don't miss crucial news and insights you need to make informed commercial real estate decisions. Join GlobeSt.com now!

  • Free unlimited access to GlobeSt.com's trusted and independent team of experts who provide commercial real estate owners, investors, developers, brokers and finance professionals with comprehensive coverage, analysis and best practices necessary to innovate and build business.
  • Exclusive discounts on ALM and GlobeSt events.
  • Access to other award-winning ALM websites including ThinkAdvisor.com and Law.com.

Already have an account? Sign In Now
Join GlobeSt

Copyright © 2021 ALM Media Properties, LLC. All Rights Reserved.