X

Thank you for sharing!

Your article was successfully shared with the contacts you provided.

Allan Saunderson is managing editor of Property Finance Europe and a contributor to GlobeSt.com.

BILBAO, SPAIN-Spanish banking group BBVA, in a similar move to its main competitor Banco Santander in the last 18 months, is near to closing the sale and leaseback of 1,350 bank branches to Deutsche Bank’s RREEF Alternative Investment group.

Media reports said the largest part of the operation, valued at €1.2 billion and covering 80% of the branch network, is expected to close this week although industry sources say it could take longer. The remaining 20% of the network, valued at a proportionally higher €400 million, is expected to take a further two or three weeks to complete. RREEF’s minority partner in the operation will be the US private equity fund, Area, which renamed last year from Apollo Real Estate.

The total transaction, amounting to €1.6 billion, represents a spread of yields of between 6% and 7%. The operation will produce a capital gain of €1.2 billion for BBVA books since most of its branches were purchased many years ago and written down. The portfolio has been on the market for around one year. PIE understands that the lease periods will vary up to 30 years with an extension and buy-back option at term. One innovation is the possibility for BBVA to change some branches on the basis that this complies with a previously agreed set of conditions. This will add flexibility to BBVA’s operation and allow restructuring of the branch network as the bank deems necessary.

Of the portfolio of properties originally offered a limited number are not included in the transaction. PFE information indicates that RREEF was not interested in the purchase of the remaining office buildings including regional HQ’s and additional bank branches. In Madrid, BBVA is unlikely to remain in most existing office buildings for more than four years due to the planned move to a new office complex in the Las Tablas area on the periphery of Madrid which has just received approval.

BBVA has been advised by CB Richard Ellis and RREEF was advised by Savills. CBRE Ellis was involved in Spain’s largest real estate operation just over one year ago involving Santander’s property portfolio for €1.9 billion including the Financial City in Boadilla del Monte, close to Madrid. Savills also advised the purchasers on the Financial City transaction

Want to continue reading?
Become a Free ALM Digital Reader.

Once you are an ALM digital member, you’ll receive:

  • Unlimited access to GlobeSt and other free ALM publications
  • Access to 15 years of GlobeSt archives
  • Your choice of GlobeSt digital newsletters and over 70 others from popular sister publications
  • 1 free article* every 30 days across the ALM subscription network
  • Exclusive discounts on ALM events and publications

*May exclude premium content
Already have an account?

GlobeSt

Join GlobeSt

Don't miss crucial news and insights you need to make informed commercial real estate decisions. Join GlobeSt.com now!

  • Free unlimited access to GlobeSt.com's trusted and independent team of experts who provide commercial real estate owners, investors, developers, brokers and finance professionals with comprehensive coverage, analysis and best practices necessary to innovate and build business.
  • Exclusive discounts on ALM and GlobeSt events.
  • Access to other award-winning ALM websites including ThinkAdvisor.com and Law.com.

Already have an account? Sign In Now
Join GlobeSt

Copyright © 2021 ALM Media Properties, LLC. All Rights Reserved.