X

Thank you for sharing!

Your article was successfully shared with the contacts you provided.

GlobeSt.com readers certainly think that the unemployment picture in the US mirrors the fate of the commercial real estate industry. In response to last week’s Quick Poll, an overwhelming 91% of voters said that unemployment numbers need to change before there is a rebound in the industry, while the other 9% said that changes in unemployment will have little impact. Tony Thompson, founder of Thompson National Properties, in Irvine, CA, agrees. He told GlobeSt.com that the two issues are intertwined.

“As Mark Twain said, ‘History doesn’t repeat itself, but it rhymes.’ Yogi Berra said it best: ‘Déjà vu all over again.’ If this is a jobless recovery, then it may not be the kind of recovery we’re wanting and all hoping for. Job creation is the name of the game to heal the economy and fill up office buildings, retail spaces, apartments and distribution centers again.

There are certain parts of the country where unemployment is as good as its been in the last five years. Those are few and far between. If we’re right about the home-building industry, and the automotive industry — with GM just hiring 2,400 and homebuilders beginning to hire again — I don’t believe we’ll have a jobless recovery. We will begin to see by the first quarter of 2010 a positive increase in jobs again.

I’m not as pessimistic in some respects as others as far as the recovery. I am pessimistic in that we’re in for some pretty rough years in the commercial real estate space, and I’m excited to see how that plays out. We need to be patient.”

Want to continue reading?
Become a Free ALM Digital Reader.

Once you are an ALM digital member, you’ll receive:

  • Unlimited access to GlobeSt and other free ALM publications
  • Access to 15 years of GlobeSt archives
  • Your choice of GlobeSt digital newsletters and over 70 others from popular sister publications
  • 1 free article* every 30 days across the ALM subscription network
  • Exclusive discounts on ALM events and publications

*May exclude premium content
Already have an account?

Dig Deeper

GlobeSt

Join GlobeSt

Don't miss crucial news and insights you need to make informed commercial real estate decisions. Join GlobeSt.com now!

  • Free unlimited access to GlobeSt.com's trusted and independent team of experts who provide commercial real estate owners, investors, developers, brokers and finance professionals with comprehensive coverage, analysis and best practices necessary to innovate and build business.
  • Exclusive discounts on ALM and GlobeSt events.
  • Access to other award-winning ALM websites including ThinkAdvisor.com and Law.com.

Already have an account? Sign In Now
Join GlobeSt

Copyright © 2021 ALM Media Properties, LLC. All Rights Reserved.