Thank you for sharing!

Your article was successfully shared with the contacts you provided.

BERLIN-Locally based housing company GSW, controlled by Goldman Sachs’ Whitehall Funds and private equity group Cerberus, is one of the largest real estate portfolios eyeing a stock exchange listing in the New Year, and preparations for an IPO moved into higher gear in November.

The Financial Times Deutschland newspaper, quoting internal sources, said GSW could have a total market valuation of up to €900 million and would be a candidate for the MDAX medium-company segment of the Frankfurt Stock Exchange. Goldman Sachs and Deutsche Bank have been mandated to lead manage the placement. No further details or confirmation were available.

GSW, the largest housing company in ownership of Berlin city holding around 66,000 apartment units, was sold in 2004, along with debt of nearly €1.6 billion. The two investments groups took 90% and a Berlin holding firm, Context, the remaining 10% – originally undertaking to keep their stakes for a period of 10 years. The GSW portfolio now numbers around 70,000 apartments, and the company has traded profitably for the last two years, earning around €100 million annually at the operating level.

Allan Saundersonis a managing editor of Property Finance Europe and a contributor to GlobeSt.com.

Want to continue reading?
Become a Free ALM Digital Reader.

Once you are an ALM digital member, you’ll receive:

  • Unlimited access to GlobeSt and other free ALM publications
  • Access to 15 years of GlobeSt archives
  • Your choice of GlobeSt digital newsletters and over 70 others from popular sister publications
  • 1 free article* every 30 days across the ALM subscription network
  • Exclusive discounts on ALM events and publications

*May exclude premium content
Already have an account?


GlobeSt. Multifamily Fall 2022Event

Join the industry's top owners, investors, developers, brokers & financiers at THE MULTIFAMILY EVENT OF THE YEAR!

Get More Information


Join GlobeSt

Don't miss crucial news and insights you need to make informed commercial real estate decisions. Join GlobeSt.com now!

  • Free unlimited access to GlobeSt.com's trusted and independent team of experts who provide commercial real estate owners, investors, developers, brokers and finance professionals with comprehensive coverage, analysis and best practices necessary to innovate and build business.
  • Exclusive discounts on ALM and GlobeSt events.
  • Access to other award-winning ALM websites including ThinkAdvisor.com and Law.com.

Already have an account? Sign In Now
Join GlobeSt

Copyright © 2022 ALM Global, LLC. All Rights Reserved.