The hotel was originally built in 1816 as Cape May's first largehotel. It was simply known as the "Big House," but was renamedCongress Hall after owner Thomas H. Hughes was elected to Congress.Frequently playing host to presidents during the 19th century, thehotel's heyday was from 1880 to about 1920. The property'sre-opening is scheduled for next spring.

Located in the heart of the National Historic Landmark City ofCape May, the revamped Congress Hall will feature a 150-seatrestaurant, a 300-seat ballroom, 104 guestrooms and fivesuites.

"Our job was to grasp the architectural vernacular and preserveit," enthuses Cape Advisors principal Curtis Bashaw, whosegrandfather managed the property for many years. "The building willblend history, local materials and craftsmanship. The old and newwill come together to create a fresh interpretation of a classicseaside hotel."

Want to continue reading?
Become a Free ALM Digital Reader.

  • Unlimited access to GlobeSt and other free ALM publications
  • Access to 15 years of GlobeSt archives
  • Your choice of GlobeSt digital newsletters and over 70 others from popular sister publications
  • 1 free article* every 30 days across the ALM subscription network
  • Exclusive discounts on ALM events and publications
NOT FOR REPRINT

© 2024 ALM Global, LLC, All Rights Reserved. Request academic re-use from www.copyright.com. All other uses, submit a request to [email protected]. For more information visit Asset & Logo Licensing.