Mixed-Use Projects Are:

When things get tough, mix it up. If it weren’t so cheesy, that might be a good saying for respondents of last week’s Quick Poll, 81% of which stated their belief that mixed-use projects are “More Important Than Ever,” leaving only 19% who thought the projects were “Not as Practical in This Economy.” Carey Levy, president of Irvine, CA-based Passco Companies Development LLC, believes mixed-use projects will have a tough time, but in the long-run, when the squeamishness in the financing markets eases, such projects will regain favor in the development community because they serve a social purpose.

I do believe that mixed-use is a very viable development option, and I think it’s a much needed product type. Most of these projects are going to go into infill metropolitan areas, and most of this development is occurring in either in blighted areas, or it’s a redevelopment component, a teardown, or a repositioning of properties, so that’s a good thing. Mixed-use projects also give young professionals a lifestyle are seeking, they give them an option to live, and work and shop in the same environment. That’s what they want today.

Want to continue reading?
Become a Free ALM Digital Reader.

Once you are an ALM digital member, you’ll receive:

  • Unlimited access to GlobeSt and other free ALM publications
  • Access to 15 years of GlobeSt archives
  • Your choice of GlobeSt digital newsletters and over 70 others from popular sister publications
  • 1 free article* every 30 days across the ALM subscription network
  • Exclusive discounts on ALM events and publications

*May exclude premium content
Already have an account?


NOT FOR REPRINT

© 2024 ALM Global, LLC, All Rights Reserved. Request academic re-use from www.copyright.com. All other uses, submit a request to [email protected]. For more information visit Asset & Logo Licensing.

GlobeSt

Join GlobeSt

Don't miss crucial news and insights you need to make informed commercial real estate decisions. Join GlobeSt.com now!

  • Free unlimited access to GlobeSt.com's trusted and independent team of experts who provide commercial real estate owners, investors, developers, brokers and finance professionals with comprehensive coverage, analysis and best practices necessary to innovate and build business.
  • Exclusive discounts on ALM and GlobeSt events.
  • Access to other award-winning ALM websites including ThinkAdvisor.com and Law.com.

Already have an account? Sign In Now
Join GlobeSt

Copyright © 2024 ALM Global, LLC. All Rights Reserved.