X

Thank you for sharing!

Your article was successfully shared with the contacts you provided.

Los AngelesUS multifamily rent growth waned in the beginning of 2018. According to research from Rent Café, apartment rents increased 2% in the start of the year, the weakest growth for the same period of time since 2010. Overall, cities with the largest apartment units saw the most rent growth, including Las Vegas, Orlando, Denver and Los Angeles, all of which saw 4% to 6% rent growth. Manhattan, Austin, DC, and Chicago showed no year-over-year rent growth. Detroit beat Las Vegas for the highest rent growth in a large city with a 5.3% increase. Stockton and Tampa had the highest rent growth in the mid-sized cities category, and markets like Reno, Odessa and Yonkers made the top of the list for the small cities category. To find out more about these rent growth patterns, we sat down with Nadia Balint of Rent Café for an exclusive interview.

GlobeSt.com: Why has rent growth momentum slowed at the start of this year?

Nadia Balint: Following several consecutive years of record deliveries, apartment supply is expected to hit a new peak this year, with tens of thousands of new units to be delivered in many of the nation’s primary rental markets such as New York, Washington DC, Los Angeles, Chicago, Austin, and others, slowing down overall growth. Slow-growing wages and lots of new units, most at the high end of the market, chasing after the same renters is inevitably affecting rent prices.

Want to continue reading?
Become a Free ALM Digital Reader.

Once you are an ALM digital member, you’ll receive:

  • Unlimited access to GlobeSt and other free ALM publications
  • Access to 15 years of GlobeSt archives
  • Your choice of GlobeSt digital newsletters and over 70 others from popular sister publications
  • 1 free article* every 30 days across the ALM subscription network
  • Exclusive discounts on ALM events and publications

*May exclude premium content
Already have an account?

Kelsi Maree Borland

Kelsi Maree Borland is a freelance journalist and magazine writer based in Los Angeles, California. For more than 5 years, she has extensively reported on the commercial real estate industry, covering major deals across all commercial asset classes, investment strategy and capital markets trends, market commentary, economic trends and new technologies disrupting and revolutionizing the industry. Her work appears daily on GlobeSt.com and regularly in Real Estate Forum Magazine. As a magazine writer, she covers lifestyle and travel trends. Her work has appeared in Angeleno, Los Angeles Magazine, Travel and Leisure and more.

More from this author

GlobeSt

Join GlobeSt

Don't miss crucial news and insights you need to make informed commercial real estate decisions. Join GlobeSt.com now!

  • Free unlimited access to GlobeSt.com's trusted and independent team of experts who provide commercial real estate owners, investors, developers, brokers and finance professionals with comprehensive coverage, analysis and best practices necessary to innovate and build business.
  • Exclusive discounts on ALM and GlobeSt events.
  • Access to other award-winning ALM websites including ThinkAdvisor.com and Law.com.

Already have an account? Sign In Now
Join GlobeSt

Copyright © 2021 ALM Media Properties, LLC. All Rights Reserved.