The Greektown Casino, the third gaming facility to enter the Downtown Detroit market, has announced its plans to open in two months. The owners, the Sault Ste. Marie Tribe of Chippewa Indians and a group of minority investors, won the Michigan Gaming Control Board’s approval to operate the casino by a 4 to 1 vote.

“Our grand opening is set for Nov. 10, pending final approval of our license,” said Roger Martin, a spokesman for the casino. The MGCB will decide on the license in November, before the opening date. Martin said everyone believes the license will be given.

The investors are showing off their temporary facility. All three casinos that have built in Downtown Detroit, the MGM Grand Detroit and the MotorCity Casino and the Greektown, are considered temporary facilities. Both of the other casinos are open and operating.All three are planning to build larger facilities, complete with five-star hotels and restaurants, along the riverfront at a cost of more than $1.5 billion. However, the city is still locked in litigation to acquire and condemn property along the proposed sites.

The MGCB formerly allowed two families to sell their off the casino shares.Ted and Maria Gatzaros and Jim and Viola Papas sold their 40 percent interest in Greektown Casino LLC to the Sault Ste. Marie Tribe of Chippewa Indians for $275 million.

The two families had been among the first to fight for casino gaming in Detroit. However, investigators with the board found problems in their financial backgrounds. The tribe now own 90 percent of the casino. The other 10 percent is owned by eight minority Detroit residents.

Want to continue reading?
Become a Free ALM Digital Reader.

Once you are an ALM digital member, you’ll receive:

  • Unlimited access to GlobeSt and other free ALM publications
  • Access to 15 years of GlobeSt archives
  • Your choice of GlobeSt digital newsletters and over 70 others from popular sister publications
  • 1 free article* every 30 days across the ALM subscription network
  • Exclusive discounts on ALM events and publications

*May exclude premium content
Already have an account?


© 2024 ALM Global, LLC, All Rights Reserved. Request academic re-use from All other uses, submit a request to [email protected]. For more information visit Asset & Logo Licensing.

Dig Deeper


GlobeSt Net Lease Spring 2024Event

This conference brings together the industry's most influential & knowledgeable real estate executives from the net lease sector.

Get More Information


Join GlobeSt

Don't miss crucial news and insights you need to make informed commercial real estate decisions. Join now!

  • Free unlimited access to's trusted and independent team of experts who provide commercial real estate owners, investors, developers, brokers and finance professionals with comprehensive coverage, analysis and best practices necessary to innovate and build business.
  • Exclusive discounts on ALM and GlobeSt events.
  • Access to other award-winning ALM websites including and

Already have an account? Sign In Now
Join GlobeSt

Copyright © 2024 ALM Global, LLC. All Rights Reserved.