JUAREZ, MEXICO-Locally based developer Bermudez International will start sourcing and executing industrial investments in northern Mexico for Prudential Real Estate Investors under a new agreement between the two firms. With Prudential providing most of the equity and Bermudez the market expertise, the joint venture is looking to develop light manufacturing and warehouse/distribution centers along the Texas border. Bermudez, which keeps office in both Juarez and El Paso, TX, is now one of three firms that Prudential has signed on as limited partners as it seeks to create more south of the border opportunities for its investors. In each venture, Prudential puts up 95% of the necessary equity and its partner sources the deal, puts up the remaining 5% and then earns fees for construction and property management, a source at Prudential tells GlobeSt.com. “We’re looking for companies to place between $50 and $100 million for us,” she says. “We’re really looking to create a footprint across the country; you’ll be seeing more ventures pop up where we think there are opportunities.”PREI’s industrial “production-sharing” program in Mexico began last year with a distribution center for Mattel on the NAFTA highway in North Mexico City in partnership with Grupo O’Donnell, an affiliate of the California-based O’Donnell Group. Since that time, PREI has acquired a fully leased portfolio of industrial properties in the state of Queretaro from O’Donnell and acquired another portfolio of buildings in Juarez as part of a JV with Mexican developer Desarrollos Brasa. In the residential arena, PREI last year formed a partnership with Mexico and Latin America’s largest residential developer, Casas Geo, to acquire land for housing development. PREI’s activities also extend to Brazil, where the company has held an interest in affordable housing developer Atlantica since 2002. Prudential is not alone in its new love affair with Latin America. Other south-of-the-border investors include JPMorgan, GMAC, Goldman Sachs, Citigroup, CS First Boston, Hines Interest, Koll, Tishman Speyer, Cargill, George Soros, Sam Zell, Kimco, AIG and GE Capital, according to Chuck Bedsole, practice leader in Dallas for Ernst & Young’s Latin America Real Estate Advisory. “Today’s global investors are usually more prepared than their late 20th century predecessors to learn the market, invest for the long term and address the economic, political and real estate risks,” Bedsole said in a statement addressing the trend.In a conversation with GlobeSt.com in January, Bledsoe said cross-border investors can expect to realize gains in the mid-teens to low 20% range in key Latin American markets, particularly Mexico, as economies gain strength alongside America amid a relaxation of regulation that has attracted US retail giants like Wal-Mart and Home Depot and even France’s Carrefour to open doors to a public with a growing purchasing power due in large part to repatriated capital.

Want to continue reading?
Become a Free ALM Digital Reader.

Once you are an ALM digital member, you’ll receive:

  • Unlimited access to GlobeSt and other free ALM publications
  • Access to 15 years of GlobeSt archives
  • Your choice of GlobeSt digital newsletters and over 70 others from popular sister publications
  • 1 free article* every 30 days across the ALM subscription network
  • Exclusive discounts on ALM events and publications

*May exclude premium content
Already have an account?


NOT FOR REPRINT

© 2024 ALM Global, LLC, All Rights Reserved. Request academic re-use from www.copyright.com. All other uses, submit a request to [email protected]. For more information visit Asset & Logo Licensing.

 

GlobeSt Net Lease Spring 2024Event

This conference brings together the industry's most influential & knowledgeable real estate executives from the net lease sector.

Get More Information
 

GlobeSt

Join GlobeSt

Don't miss crucial news and insights you need to make informed commercial real estate decisions. Join GlobeSt.com now!

  • Free unlimited access to GlobeSt.com's trusted and independent team of experts who provide commercial real estate owners, investors, developers, brokers and finance professionals with comprehensive coverage, analysis and best practices necessary to innovate and build business.
  • Exclusive discounts on ALM and GlobeSt events.
  • Access to other award-winning ALM websites including ThinkAdvisor.com and Law.com.

Already have an account? Sign In Now
Join GlobeSt

Copyright © 2024 ALM Global, LLC. All Rights Reserved.