(For more retail coverage, click GlobeSt.com/RETAIL.)

TORONTO-First Capital Realty Inc. has picked up an 186,000-sf center in Calgary and bought out its partner in two other properties in separate transactions totaling $47.9 million. Traded on the Toronto Stock Exchange, the locally based company owns develops and operates grocery-anchored centers in growing metropolitan areas.

Its new acquisition is TransCanada Centre, a Calgary shopping center located at the southeast corner of TransCanada Highway (16th Avenue) and 52nd Street Northeast. The center is anchored by a 48,000-sf Safeway supermarket and other major tenants including an 11,800-sf Super Drug Mart, a 20,000-sf fitness facility, Rogers Video and some national fast food tenants. The purchase price, $38.1 million including closing costs, was paid in cash. First Capital Realty’s VP of Western Canada Brian Kozak says the acquisition takes its Calgary portfolio to 1.05 million sf.

In the two other deals, the company gained full ownership of Old Strathcona, a 79,000-sf neighborhood center in Edmonton, AB, and Dufferin Corners, a 76,000-sf neighborhood center in Toronto.

First Capital Realty already had 50% stake in the Edmonton property and acquired the other 50% for $5 million including closing costs. The deal included the assumption of $1.9 million of fixed rate debt at 6.49% that come due in November 2013.

In the Toronto property, the company had a 75% stake and acquired the other 25% for $4.8 million. The deal included the assumption of $1.4 million of fixed rate debt at 7.33% that comes due in September 2012.

First Capital Realty owns interests in 16.3 million sf of retail space divided among 137 properties, including six that are under development. The company also owns 13.3 million shares (17.8%) of Equity One, a southern US-focused shopping center REIT with interests in another 20 million sf spread among 200 properties.

Want to continue reading?
Become a Free ALM Digital Reader.

Once you are an ALM digital member, you’ll receive:

  • Unlimited access to GlobeSt and other free ALM publications
  • Access to 15 years of GlobeSt archives
  • Your choice of GlobeSt digital newsletters and over 70 others from popular sister publications
  • 1 free article* every 30 days across the ALM subscription network
  • Exclusive discounts on ALM events and publications

*May exclude premium content
Already have an account?


NOT FOR REPRINT

© 2024 ALM Global, LLC, All Rights Reserved. Request academic re-use from www.copyright.com. All other uses, submit a request to [email protected]. For more information visit Asset & Logo Licensing.

 

GlobeSt Net Lease Spring 2024Event

This conference brings together the industry's most influential & knowledgeable real estate executives from the net lease sector.

Get More Information
 

GlobeSt

Join GlobeSt

Don't miss crucial news and insights you need to make informed commercial real estate decisions. Join GlobeSt.com now!

  • Free unlimited access to GlobeSt.com's trusted and independent team of experts who provide commercial real estate owners, investors, developers, brokers and finance professionals with comprehensive coverage, analysis and best practices necessary to innovate and build business.
  • Exclusive discounts on ALM and GlobeSt events.
  • Access to other award-winning ALM websites including ThinkAdvisor.com and Law.com.

Already have an account? Sign In Now
Join GlobeSt

Copyright © 2024 ALM Global, LLC. All Rights Reserved.