AUSTIN-Making its first inroad into the area, SCI Real Estate Investments LLC has snagged the 51,052-sf Parmer McNeil Plaza at a 6.7% cap rate in an off-market transaction. The sales price is being kept under wraps due to a confidentiality agreement, but similar properties have traded for $250 per sf to $300 per sf.

The shopping center at 6301 Parmer Lane is 90% leased with a mix of national and credit tenants like Wachovia Corp., Washington Mutual Inc., Starbucks Corp., Chipotle Mexican Grill Inc., Cold Stone Creamery and Whataburger Restaurants LP. The tenant base was the impetus for SCI Real Estate Investments LLC to acquire the center from Dallas-based Parmer-McNeil Holdings Ltd.

“What’s great about this particular deal is we were able to buy it on 90% occupancy. Typically sellers will sell on 95% occupancy and guarantee the remaining 5%,” explains Scott Derrick, chief acquisitions officer for the Los Angeles-based SCI. “It means we can lease the 10% and get all the upside.” Derrick points out that the tenants all have long-term leases, whether they are inline or ground. And, there’s enough in the pipeline to hit 100% occupancy.

Although Parmer McNeil Plaza is SCI’s first Austin investment, there are more buys on the horizon. The company has multifamily and student housing complexes scheduled to close in the next six months and is trying to get three more student housing assets under contract before the year ends.

“We think Austin is great in job creation,” Derrick says. “They have real growth–population growth and job growth, which is why we’re buying multifamily, student housing and retail in the area.”

Want to continue reading?
Become a Free ALM Digital Reader.

Once you are an ALM digital member, you’ll receive:

  • Unlimited access to GlobeSt and other free ALM publications
  • Access to 15 years of GlobeSt archives
  • Your choice of GlobeSt digital newsletters and over 70 others from popular sister publications
  • 1 free article* every 30 days across the ALM subscription network
  • Exclusive discounts on ALM events and publications

*May exclude premium content
Already have an account?


© 2024 ALM Global, LLC, All Rights Reserved. Request academic re-use from All other uses, submit a request to [email protected]. For more information visit Asset & Logo Licensing.


GlobeSt Net Lease Spring 2024Event

This conference brings together the industry's most influential & knowledgeable real estate executives from the net lease sector.

Get More Information


Join GlobeSt

Don't miss crucial news and insights you need to make informed commercial real estate decisions. Join now!

  • Free unlimited access to's trusted and independent team of experts who provide commercial real estate owners, investors, developers, brokers and finance professionals with comprehensive coverage, analysis and best practices necessary to innovate and build business.
  • Exclusive discounts on ALM and GlobeSt events.
  • Access to other award-winning ALM websites including and

Already have an account? Sign In Now
Join GlobeSt

Copyright © 2024 ALM Global, LLC. All Rights Reserved.