(Read more on the debt and equity markets.)

NEW YORK CITY-Locally based, SL Green Realty Corp., a self-administered and self-managed REIT, and Gramercy Capital Corp., a New York City-based majority-owned subsidiary of SL Green, have agreed to pay $317 million for a 79% fee interest and 21% leasehold interest in the property located at 885 Third Ave., better known as the Lipstick Building.

Gramercy owns 45% of the investment in the 607,000-sf, 34-story, class A office building, with SL Green owning the remaining 55% stake. The transaction was financed with a $267.7-million, 10-year fixed rate loan by Goldman Sachs Commercial Mortgage Capital. Simultaneously, both companies have entered into a 70-year leasehold/sub-leasehold arrangement for the building.

Hugh Hall, COO of Gramercy comments, “The Lipstick investment is intended to generate long-duration, quality earnings for Gramercy, and build long-term net asset value through a highly secure ownership position of an attractive Midtown land parcel.”

Isaac Zion, managing director at SL Green, tells GlobeSt.com that he seconds Hall’s comment, noting that, “Hall summed things up perfectly when referring to what this investment does for Gramercy and I couldn’t have put it better myself in describing what it means for SL Green.” The Lipstick Building, located at Third Avenue and 53rd Street, is 99% occupied by a tenant roster including the law firms Latham & Watkins and Ropes and Gray.

“The acquisition of 885 Third Ave. again demonstrates our ability to source compelling deals in today’s highly competitive Midtown Manhattan acquisition market,” notes Andrew Mathias, CIO of Gramercy. “We created the fee/leaseback structure for situations like this: tremendous real estate, long-term value creation opportunities for the leasehold and attractive, secure cash-flows for GKK and SLG’s shareholders.”

This transaction is the latest in a series of net lease investments undertaken by Gramercy jointly with SL Green, including the recently announced 2 Herald Square, an 11-story retail and commercial office property along 34th Street. Other recent net leases investments include 55 Corporate Dr., a 670,000-sf office building in Bridgewater, NJ leased to Sanofi-Aventis as its North-American headquarters; and One Madison Ave., Credit Suisse’s headquarters on Madison Square Park, as GlobeSt.com recently reported.

Want to continue reading?
Become a Free ALM Digital Reader.

Once you are an ALM digital member, you’ll receive:

  • Unlimited access to GlobeSt and other free ALM publications
  • Access to 15 years of GlobeSt archives
  • Your choice of GlobeSt digital newsletters and over 70 others from popular sister publications
  • 1 free article* every 30 days across the ALM subscription network
  • Exclusive discounts on ALM events and publications

*May exclude premium content
Already have an account?


NOT FOR REPRINT

© 2024 ALM Global, LLC, All Rights Reserved. Request academic re-use from www.copyright.com. All other uses, submit a request to [email protected]. For more information visit Asset & Logo Licensing.

GlobeSt

Join GlobeSt

Don't miss crucial news and insights you need to make informed commercial real estate decisions. Join GlobeSt.com now!

  • Free unlimited access to GlobeSt.com's trusted and independent team of experts who provide commercial real estate owners, investors, developers, brokers and finance professionals with comprehensive coverage, analysis and best practices necessary to innovate and build business.
  • Exclusive discounts on ALM and GlobeSt events.
  • Access to other award-winning ALM websites including ThinkAdvisor.com and Law.com.

Already have an account? Sign In Now
Join GlobeSt

Copyright © 2024 ALM Global, LLC. All Rights Reserved.