X

Thank you for sharing!

Your article was successfully shared with the contacts you provided.

CARLSBAD, CA-After denying the imminent deal last month, Danish toymaker the Lego Group has officially sold its four Legoland theme parks to New York-based Blackstone Group for $457 million. Blackstone will own 70% of the merged company, while Lego Group will own the remaining 30%. Blackstone will take over Legoland’s three parks in Europe and its Carlsbad site and merge them with Merlin Entertainment, which it acquired in May for $187 million. The parks are expected to attract some 12 million visitors a year.”The new company will provide the investment and expertise the parks need, in both product and marketing, to take them to the next level,” says Nick Varney, chief executive of the newly combined Merlin Entertainments company. Besides its Carlsbad location, Lego has theme parks in Billund, Denmark; Guenzburg, Germany; and Windsor, England. Those parks attract more than five million visitors a year. For Blackstone, the acquisition represents a further expansion of the private equity firm’s theme park portfolio. The firm also owns an interest in the operation of Universal Studios, Orlando.The sale allows the Lego Group to get back to its core business—developing plastic bricks for children. Owned by the Kristiansen family, Lego suffered more than $312 million in net losses last year.The company has said it wants to use the sale of the theme parks to free up cash and lower the firm’s overhead. The negative ledger was only the fourth loss in the company’s 72-year history.

Want to continue reading?
Become a Free ALM Digital Reader.

Once you are an ALM digital member, you’ll receive:

  • Unlimited access to GlobeSt and other free ALM publications
  • Access to 15 years of GlobeSt archives
  • Your choice of GlobeSt digital newsletters and over 70 others from popular sister publications
  • 3 free articles* across the ALM subscription network every 30 days
  • Exclusive discounts on ALM events and publications

*May exclude premium content
Already have an account?

Dig Deeper

GlobeSt

Join GlobeSt

Don't miss crucial news and insights you need to make informed commercial real estate decisions. Join GlobeSt.com now!

  • Free unlimited access to GlobeSt.com's trusted and independent team of experts who provide commercial real estate owners, investors, developers, brokers and finance professionals with comprehensive coverage, analysis and best practices necessary to innovate and build business.
  • Exclusive discounts on ALM and GlobeSt events.
  • Access to other award-winning ALM websites including ThinkAdvisor.com and Law.com.

Already have an account? Sign In Now
Join GlobeSt

Copyright © 2020 ALM Media Properties, LLC. All Rights Reserved.