(To read more on the multifamily market, click here.)

BRADENTON, FL-American Retirement Corp. has partnered with investors to buy the Freedom Village of Bradenton, a 761-unit entrance fee continuing care community, for $95 million. DTZ Rockwood arranged the sale on behalf of the seller, Westport Advisors.

GlobeSt.com first reported a deal was in the works in March. The transaction, which closed late last month, also calls for the joint venture assuming approximately $39 million in resident refund liabilities that are expected to be repaid from the future turnover of the independent living entrance fee units, according to New York-based DTZ Rockwood. Nashville-based ARC has 20% ownership in the joint venture, with investors in a senior housing strategy fund managed by Prudential Real Estate Investors owning the remaining 80%, according to a statement by ARC.

Freedom Village comprises five buildings totaling 896,000 sf on 34 acres. It has 500 independent living retirement apartments, a 120-bed skilled nursing facility and a 140-bed assisted living facility. The property was opened in 1984, and several development phases were completed by 1992. ARC, a senior living and healthcare provider, will manage the property and lease the assisted living and skilled nursing facilities from the joint venture.

“The comparatively limited number of existing CCRCs relative to growing senior demographics as well as the high replacement cost supports the strong demand for existing communities,” Dan McNulty, co-chairman and co-CEO of DTZ Rockwood, explains in a statement.

Capmark Bank provided approximately $62 million of senior mortgage debt for the transaction. The remainder of the purchase price was funded by proportional capital contributions from the members of the joint venture, according to ARC.

Want to continue reading?
Become a Free ALM Digital Reader.

Once you are an ALM digital member, you’ll receive:

  • Unlimited access to GlobeSt and other free ALM publications
  • Access to 15 years of GlobeSt archives
  • Your choice of GlobeSt digital newsletters and over 70 others from popular sister publications
  • 1 free article* every 30 days across the ALM subscription network
  • Exclusive discounts on ALM events and publications

*May exclude premium content
Already have an account?


NOT FOR REPRINT

© 2024 ALM Global, LLC, All Rights Reserved. Request academic re-use from www.copyright.com. All other uses, submit a request to [email protected]. For more information visit Asset & Logo Licensing.

 

GlobeSt

Join GlobeSt

Don't miss crucial news and insights you need to make informed commercial real estate decisions. Join GlobeSt.com now!

  • Free unlimited access to GlobeSt.com's trusted and independent team of experts who provide commercial real estate owners, investors, developers, brokers and finance professionals with comprehensive coverage, analysis and best practices necessary to innovate and build business.
  • Exclusive discounts on ALM and GlobeSt events.
  • Access to other award-winning ALM websites including ThinkAdvisor.com and Law.com.

Already have an account? Sign In Now
Join GlobeSt

Copyright © 2024 ALM Global, LLC. All Rights Reserved.